Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can 529 plans be used for secondary education, i.e. high school?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Yes. As of 2018, the term “qualified higher education expense” includes up to $10,000 in annual expenses for tuition in connection with enrollment or attendance at an elementary or secondary public, private, or religious school. This is in effect for education expenses incurred in 2018.

For 2017 tax returns, 529 plan money can be used for dual status student's ( high school students that are enrolled in college level classes) college tuition and fees.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Yes. As of 2018, the term “qualified higher education expense” includes up to $10,000 in annual expenses for tuition in connection with enrollment or attendance at an elementary or secondary public, private, or religious school. This is in effect for education expenses incurred in 2018.

For 2017 tax returns, 529 plan money can be used for dual status student's ( high school students that are enrolled in college level classes) college tuition and fees.

How do I navigate this in turbotax?  all of the question sets seem to drive me to post secondary requirements for deducibility.  

I took a qualified distribution from my 529 for private HS tuition as then new law allows but the turbo tax system is counting the distro as taxable.  any help?

I am having the same issue. The 529 plan issues a 1099 Q form which is reportable by law. Put the TurboTax algorithm reduces my refund by almost $2,000.  The high school does not issue a 1098-T form. Did you ever receive a reply and how to navigate this in TurboTax?

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

After you enter the 1098-Q, continue through that interview. 

After you click DONE on the summary page, the next page allows you to select Elementary and/or High School. 

No 1098-T is needed. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies