Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
Still need to file? Our experts can get your taxes done right. Get started >
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JKCPA
Level 2

Bonus 168 Depreciation, and Section 179 Depreciation

I am curious to know if you can use section 179 deprecation on a portion of an asset and then bonus deprecation the rest.

For example, (S-Corp) if an asset is $100,000, can I 179 $70,000 of it, and then bonus $30,000 of it?

The problem with bonusing the whole $100,000 is that I believe that it all goes to the person's 1040 which would bring their AGI to 0. If I bring the AGI to $0.00, then I do not get to take advantage of the person's standard deduction, so they are losing out on $25,100

Another note to add, I know if there are more than one class of equipment, I can elect to bonus one class and then elect out of bonus for the other class, and 179 depreciation that. There is musical equipment which I believe has a 5 year class while the furniture is a 7 year class, so I believe I could allocate 168 and 179 in this situation. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thank you.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
tagteam
Level 15

@JKCPA wrote:

For example, (S-Corp) if an asset is $100,000..........

S corporation = You need guidance from a local tax professional and/or a tax advisor.

Generally, the Section 179 deduction is limited to income on your 1120-S whereas bonus depreciation (the special depreciation allowance) is not so limited.

As a result, taking bonus depreciation can result in your K-1 (1120-S) showing an ordinary loss on Line 1 of your K-1 (which will serve to reduce your income on your 1040).

The Section 179 deduction is passed directly through to you (and any other shareholders) on Line 11 of your K-1 (which will also reduce your income on your 1040, but is limited at the corporate level).

Bottom line here is seek guidance from a tax professional.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
tagteam
Level 15

@JKCPA wrote:

For example, (S-Corp) if an asset is $100,000..........

S corporation = You need guidance from a local tax professional and/or a tax advisor.

Generally, the Section 179 deduction is limited to income on your 1120-S whereas bonus depreciation (the special depreciation allowance) is not so limited.

As a result, taking bonus depreciation can result in your K-1 (1120-S) showing an ordinary loss on Line 1 of your K-1 (which will serve to reduce your income on your 1040).

The Section 179 deduction is passed directly through to you (and any other shareholders) on Line 11 of your K-1 (which will also reduce your income on your 1040, but is limited at the corporate level).

Bottom line here is seek guidance from a tax professional.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
message box icon

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing
Manage cookies
v
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz0123456789-_~