turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ldh6600

Can I claim college tuition from the 1098-T which we the parents paid and my dependent claim graduated school tuition which she paid?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

Can I claim college tuition from the 1098-T which we the parents paid and my dependent claim graduated school tuition which she paid?

No. A dependent that is being claimed cannot claim educational credits, only the taxpayer claiming the dependent can.

For 2018 only the AOC or Lifetime Learning credits can be claimed - the Tuition and Fees deduction expired at the end of 2017 and Congress has not renewed for 2018.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
ldh6600

Based on your answer, if the parents used the 1098t, we wouldn’t be able to deduct the tuition anyway?
ldh6600

Based on your answer, if the parents used the 1098t, we wouldn’t be able to deduct the tuition anyway?
ldh6600

You could only get the AOC or Lifetime Learning Credit is qualified.
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies