Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

siels

Amending 2021 and 2022. Why is Turbo Tax applying both the American Opportunity Credit and Lifetime Learning Credit to the same student?

I was amending my taxes for not including my rental house taxes/expenses nothing to do with education. The IRS rejected both 2021 and 2022 Amended returns for this.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Amending 2021 and 2022. Why is Turbo Tax applying both the American Opportunity Credit and Lifetime Learning Credit to the same student?

What do you mean by "rejecting" those amended returns?   It is not possible to e-file an amended return for 2021 or 2022 now.   Amended returns for 2021 or 2022 can only be filed by mail.   Please provide more details about what you are trying to do.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Hal_Al
Level 15

You are correct, you are not allowed to claim both the  American Opportunity Credit (AOC) and Lifetime Learning Credit (LLC) for the same student.

It's unlikely that TurboTax (TT) would make that mistake.  The most likely reason for the mistake is that you entered yourself (or your spouse or dependent) as an additional student.  A review of form 8863 should reveal the source of the error.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies