turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

pwillauer

1098T

Concordia University Portland closed their doors.   How do I get a copy of my 1098T?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

1098T

If you don't receive a Form 1098-T by Jan 31st, you can still enter your school expenses without a Form 1098-T.  The IRS does not explicitly require a Form 1098-T in order to claim any education-related credits.  However, you will need some sort of records in order to prove any expenses claimed such as canceled checks, receipts, a record of account, credit card statements, etc.

To enter the expenses, simply proceed with the education section of TurboTax as normal.  

The easiest way to get to this section in TurboTax is to use the search feature.  

• Log into your account and click Take Me to My Return (you must click this before performing the search below)
  • Click the search icon (magnifying glass in top right-hand corner)
  • Search for "1098T" and click the "jump to 1098T" link that appears
  • This will bring you to the Education Expenses section where you can add a student and related Form 1098-T information 

When you come to the screen asking if you received a Form 1098-T, simply answer “no” to that question and proceed with the rest of the interview.  You will be able to enter the amount of tuition and fees paid to the school.

You don't need a 1098-T if any of these apply: 

1. If you or your dependent:

·         Haven't received the 1098-T by January 31, or by the date you file your return (whichever is later).

·         Requested the 1098-T from your school after January 31 but before filing your return.

·         Cooperated with the school's efforts to get the info necessary to send you the 1098-T.

2. If the school is not required to send a 1098-T.

Just make sure you have your education expenses and enrollment documented to take this credit using one of these exceptions. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies