turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1098T

I recently used my TA benefits as a military member. However, I paid over $5,000 Out of pocket. Can I claim this while i file for taxes when I receive my 1098T form? If I can, will I receive all of it back, or partial? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
PaulaM
Expert Alumni

1098T

You may qualify for the American Opportunity Credit to cover some of your out of pocket expenses. Enter all of your education expenses and 1098-T information into your return and TurboTax will guide you with a series of questions to determine if you qualify. 

See this link for reference.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Hal_Al
Level 15

1098T

Yes, you may claim it.  But you may not claim any amount that TA benefits covered.  For example, if box 1 of your 1098-T is $9000 and you received $4000 in TA benefits, you may only count the $5000 difference (+ books and course materials) towards an education tax credit.

You receive a partial refund. If you qualify for the more generous American Opportunity Tax  Credit (AOTC), $5000 of qualifying expenses will get you a $2500 credit.  $1000 of that $2500 is refundable. That is you get it even if your tax liability is less.

If you do not qualify for the AOTC (grad students and less than half time undergrads don't qualify), you probably qualify for the Lifetime Learning Credit (LLC).  $5000 of qualified expenses will get you a $1000 credit (20%), none of which is refundable.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies