Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Your taxes, your way. Get expert help or do it yourself. >> Get started
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member


My 16 year old son received a 1098-T this year for a dual credit course he takes in his high school.  My question is that we don't pay any tuition or fees, our public school system covers it in full.  Do we just ignore this 1098-T when doing our taxes since we didn't pay or borrow to pay this?  It's a small amount, just under $500.  There is only the amount listed in box 1 and nothing listed under scholarships or grants.

2 Replies
Employee Tax Expert


If the tuition is paid by the public school system, you did not have any out-of-pocket expense and cannot claim education expenses. You can ignore that form 1099-T and not report it on your tax return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Level 15


The 1098-T is only any informational document. The numbers on it are not required to be entered onto your tax return.

About Community

Learn about taxes, budgeting, saving, borrowing, reducing debt, investing, and planning for retirement.



Manage cookies