Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Where in TurboTax do I show property purchased in Like Kind (1031) exchange

I have completed form 8824. It is NOT putting the information anywhere, including form 4797 or Schedule 1.  I did see a post from another Mac user who has talked with several people there including someone at the upper echelon and they are saying to "fix" for us will be out March 30th. A llittle late, since I get anything done until all this transfer. I can't even enter the adjusted basis for my exchange - it won't let me.

MonikaK1
Expert Alumni

If your Form 8824 didn't show any taxable gain for the current year from the exchange, then there wouldn't be any gain to transfer to Form 4797 or Schedule 1. If your entries on Form 8824 showed that the gain qualified to be deferred, that would appear on Line 24 of Form 8824 and will reduce your basis in the new property, which is shown on Line 25 of Form 8824.

Enter the new property as an Asset in the rental section of TurboTax if you haven't already, using the adjusted basis form Form 8824 and splitting out the portion that represents land.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
lkng67
Returning Member

I bought the Home and Business and I don’t see where to do a 1031 exchange form. I looked for it in the menu and it did not show. Where does it have the jump to section? 

Also, when putting in my rentals it does not allow for the fact that I have two places for 1/2 a year sold them and then a new place of 6 months which only rented for 30 days. Does the IRS allow prep time? We had to change out furniture and get the place spruced up before we can rent.

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

It would be best to give us a call so we can look into this further. @lkng67 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies