turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Where do I enter per-diem deductible as self employed writer, director and playwright?

I need the biggest deduction this year. Where do I enter per-diem as a writer, director, playwright to gain the 100% deduction? Can I get it? I made $5K from fees, spent about $2300 in travel to meet with producers, etc. and get $16K in Social and Pension. If not, then where do I put the per diem rate and what is it? I was going to put in $40/a day but I was traveling, away for 35 days. Isn't this going to be a huge red flag? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AmyT

Where do I enter per-diem deductible as self employed writer, director and playwright?

From the IRS website:

Question: For business travel, are there limits on the amounts deductible for meals?
Answer:
  • Meal expenses are deductible if your business trip is overnight or long enough that you need to stop for substantial sleep or rest to properly perform your duties. Meal expenses are also deductible if the meal is business-related entertainment. You can figure all your travel meal expenses using either of the following methods:
    • Actual cost. If you use this method, you must keep records of your actual cost.
    • The standard meal allowance, which is the federal meals and incidental expense (M&IE) per diem rate. The GSA website lists these rates by location. Note that lower rates apply for the first and last days of travel.
  • The deduction for unreimbursed business meals is generally subject to a 50% limitation.

The per diem expenses you wish to claim should be treated as Meal Expenses in TurboTax, which will then automatically apply the 50% reduction (you are only allowed to deduct 50% of your meal expenses).

As long as you have good records and can substantiate your travel days and location, you should not have any problems, even if the IRS does question the expense.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
AmyT

From the IRS website:

Question: For business travel, are there limits on the amounts deductible for meals?
Answer:
  • Meal expenses are deductible if your business trip is overnight or long enough that you need to stop for substantial sleep or rest to properly perform your duties. Meal expenses are also deductible if the meal is business-related entertainment. You can figure all your travel meal expenses using either of the following methods:
    • Actual cost. If you use this method, you must keep records of your actual cost.
    • The standard meal allowance, which is the federal meals and incidental expense (M&IE) per diem rate. The GSA website lists these rates by location. Note that lower rates apply for the first and last days of travel.
  • The deduction for unreimbursed business meals is generally subject to a 50% limitation.

The per diem expenses you wish to claim should be treated as Meal Expenses in TurboTax, which will then automatically apply the 50% reduction (you are only allowed to deduct 50% of your meal expenses).

As long as you have good records and can substantiate your travel days and location, you should not have any problems, even if the IRS does question the expense.

That is not true.  Meals Expense and Travel i.e, M&IE are reported differently. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies