turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

t_fa2007

When converting a limited partnership to a LLC, do I still use the start date of the partnership for purpose of depreciating business assets?

Started LP in 1992 and converted to LLC in 2017.  Reading IRS publications  suggests that I continue to depreciate assets as if the conversion didn't happen.  Do others concur with this?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
PatriciaV
Employee Tax Expert

When converting a limited partnership to a LLC, do I still use the start date of the partnership for purpose of depreciating business assets?

Yes, the basis of the property remains the same, and accumulated depreciation carries over as well.

Unless you have filed Form 8832 and elected to be taxed as a corporation, the IRS considers the LLC to be a partnership. This is because an LLC is a state-defined entity. Read more here: IRS Limited Liability Company (LLC)

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
milipa
Returning Member

Turbo tax is not allowing me  to do that, do I just correct the forms?

Carl
Level 15

Basically, the only real difference between an LP and an LLC when it comes to taxes, is the spelling. So under the business info tab all you should need to do is change the business type selection from U.S. Limited Partnership, to U.S. Limited Liability Company. Everything else under the Business Info tab (business start date, and the such) would all stay the same. Likewise, nothing changes for the business assets either.

pk
Level 15
Level 15

Are we to assume that your partnership LLP was converted to a multi-member LLC ?  Or is it that you disbanded the partnership  and  converted to a single member LLC ?   This is because whereas a multi-member LLC is treated as partnership ( a pass through entity ), a single member LLC is a dis-regarded entity for tax purposes

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies