turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

StatFonz

What is Code UT on Schedule 4?

On US Federal Tax Schedule 4 Line 62, the software says that I have $318 liability  in Other Tax and gives a code UT.  What does this mean and where could it have come from?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

13 Replies
or

I am getting an amount on Schedule 4, line 62. How can I fix it?
denglis2

i also got a schedule 4 line 62 with code UT how do ni get rid of it?
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

Please see the answer below.

Box 12 codes are:

• A -- Uncollected Social Security or RRTA tax on tips
  • B -- Uncollected Medicare tax on tips
  • M -- Uncollected Social Security or RRTA tax on taxable cost of group-term life insurance over $50,000 (former employees only)
  • N -- Uncollected Medicare tax on taxable cost of group-term life insurance over $50,000 (former employees only)

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/5343209

TurboTax produced this same form (Schedule 4) and code for line 62 (UT) in error. Box 12 of my W-2 shows code EE. As a result, my tax liability increased by the amount shown in Box 12. This is an error that needs to be resolved by TurboTax but no one I speak to is willing or able to acknowledge it.
GinaG
Intuit Alumni

@StatFonz Watch for an email from us with further instructions.
JT_Glenn

I did my first pass at my taxes in Feb then just completed a new set re-entering everything from scratch, the new set was over $600 less in taxes.  Upon further research the new set did not contain the Schedule 4. line 62 (UT) taxes.  I would have expected Turbo Tax would have caught the bug on the first set and corrected it when I opened the first set to review and run error checking.  This seems substantial for anyone dong their taxes early.
denadgn

I dont have any dollars reported on our W-2 (which is correct), turbo tax incorrectly report this schedule
denadgn

Turbo Tax incorrectly created a  schedule 5 with Social Security over payment of $15,000+ and we only paid 8,100.  There are multiple problems with the schedules.

checm your W2 entry one more time, especially in the 12 sections, make sure to choose AA not A for roth 401k.

I got the UT initially. Then I checked what would cause the UT.  I re-checked every data and importantly to check the associated codes. I found for my case, I chose 12A for Roth IRA, which caused UT extra tax. I corrected it to 12AA, then the UT for asking extra tax is gone.  Suggest you to check every data entry and the codes one by one.  Just my suggestion. You may also play around by deleting some entry to see whether turbo tax will show no UT but save a copy first before doing it.  Best luck.
rll1
Level 1

Apparently this bug still exists for 2019 tax year. I entered EE for Box 12 and it reported the amount to UT (unpaid taxes) which would have caused approximately $3k over payment in taxes. I went back to 2018 and saw the error in my taxes there as well which also caused a $3K over payment in taxes. I had to file an amendment. 

I have this very same problem and tried many times to amend my 2018 tax return on their website.  This UT(unpaid tax) code is not and has never been accurate for my situation and was erroneously applied and approved by TurboTax.  They do not allow you to fix this/their error when trying to electronically filing an amendment on their website. 

@B4unique  wrote:

I have this very same problem and tried many times to amend my 2018 tax return on their website.  This UT(unpaid tax) code is not and has never been accurate for my situation and was erroneously applied and approved by TurboTax.  They do not allow you to fix this/their error when trying to electronically filing an amendment on their website. 

A 2018 tax return or a 2018 amended tax return cannot be e-filed, it can only be printed and mailed.

There is no error if you entered on your W-2 Line 12 with a code of A, B, M or N.  A code of UT will be entered on the 2018 Schedule 4 Line 62.

Go to this IRS Publication for Form 1040 (2018) page 106 Item 8 - https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-prior/i1040gi--2018.pdf#page=106

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies