turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Is interest earned on a sch C business subject to employment tax? 1099-INT has the business EIN. If not, where is it entered instead of Other Income on Schedule C?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
JohnW15
Intuit Alumni

Is interest earned on a sch C business subject to employment tax? 1099-INT has the business EIN. If not, where is it entered instead of Other Income on Schedule C?

Yes, it's subject to self-employment tax since it's income received by the business, and it's entered as Other Income on Schedule C..

Even if the interest was bank interest?  Just clarifying since I forgot to add that information in my question.
JohnW15
Intuit Alumni

Thank you for clarifying, it does make a difference and I should've asked.  Interest income from bank accounts isn't generally considered business income for a sole proprietor.  You should just report this as your personal interest income, on Schedule B.  Sorry if I misled you.

Thanks for the answer.  Sorry I didn't provide all the info at first.

He stated that the 1099-INT used the business EIN as the recipient's TIN.  Does it get reported on the schedule C?

AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

If the interest being reported is bank account interest, then it would be reported on Schedule B regardless of whether the Form 1099-INT was issued in the business EIN or the sole proprietor's social security number.  There is no appropriate place on Schedule C to report bank account interest.  

The most important thing is that it will be reported on the tax return.  Keep some notes with your tax records and a copy of the Form 1099-INT in case the IRS questions where the income was reported.  

@buickmansfdt 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Manage cookies