Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Small business, annualized vs actual withholding- is this specifically speaking about the small business income and expense and not my w-2 amounts? Very confused.

If I choose annualized, which i believe is correct, the workflow asks me 'self employment earnings' in 3 boxes, then annualized adjusted gross income- how would i know this? 

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
AmandaR1

Small business, annualized vs actual withholding- is this specifically speaking about the small business income and expense and not my w-2 amounts? Very confused.

The annualized method is an option that considers when you earned all income and incurred all expenses, on your return (both W-2 and self-employment, everything you've entered). The standard method presumes all income was earned and estimates were earned/paid, evenly throughout the year. 

Therefore, the annualized method does not usually benefit you, unless you earned most of your income at the end of the year. While saving money is always the goal, you may consider if your penalty is worth entering the annualized method because the underpayment penalty tends to be very small. 

As far as knowing the amounts, as the initial screens explain (see screenshot), you need to have detailed records of when all income and expenses were earned and paid, during each quarter. However, the software helps you out by showing the total amount that you have for that category in the fourth, total year, row. 

See the screenshot for Annualized Adjusted Gross Income screen. All you need to do is allocate that amount for the first 3 quarters, as is applicable. Make sure you've entered all income and expenses in the software. Extremely detailed records would be needed to know the exact break outs. 

Please let me know if you have questions.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies