Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Should I fill out Form 2439?

I do not think this form applies to me but TurboTax will not let me continue without providing RIC or REIT info.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
RayW7
Expert Alumni

Yes, you should complete this form- 

What is Form 2439?  Form 2439, Notice to Shareholder of Undistributed Long-Term Capital Gains is the form required to be issued by regulated investment companies (RICs) and real estate investment trusts (REITs) when there have been undistributed long-term capital gains.

If you have received a Form 2439 and there was tax paid by the RIC or REIT (see box 2) then you may be due a refund.  This is true even if your investment is held in your IRA.   Individuals who have already filed their tax returns can file an amendment using Form 1040X.  For investments held in an IRA, Form 990-T can be filed.

• Undistributed capital gains. If your mutual fund sends you a Form 2439: Notice to Shareholder of Undistributed Long-Term Capital Gains increase your basis by the amount of undistributed capital gain that you include in income and reduce your basis by the amount of tax paid by the fund on the undistributed gain (both amounts are reported to you on Form 2439). Finally, don’t forget to claim a tax credit on your 2020 Form 1040 for the amount of tax paid by the fund in 2020.

IRS Form 2439, Notice to Shareholder of Undistributed Long-Term Capital Gains

I have no Form 2439 to fill out.  But, TurboTax will not let me continue even after I state that I have no Form2439.  Instead, the program sends me back to the beginning of the previous section.  It is not letting me move ahead.

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

You may need to delete Form 8885 from your return.

Click this link for instructions for Form 2439 Error. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I have no form 2439 but turbotax will not let me move ahead.  I returns me to the beginning of that section instead.

GeorgeM777
Expert Alumni

Business entities use Form 2439 to provide shareholders of a regulated investment company (RIC) or a real estate investment trust (REIT) the amount of undistributed long-term capital gains.  Form 2439 will also reflect, among other things, unrecaptured Section 1250 gain, Section 1202 gain and Collectibles (28%) gain.  While you do not have such form, do you own any RIC or REIT investments?  If so, the page where you continue to return, may require certain information because of RIC or REIT investments that you entered.  

However, in the event you do not own any RIC or REIT investments, and if you feel that your return does not need Form 2439, you can delete it and perhaps that will resolve the issue.  Assuming you are using TurboTax Online, here are the steps to follow to delete a form:

1. Open or continue your return in TurboTax.
  2. In the left menu, select Tax Tools and then Tools.
  3. In the pop-up window Tool Center, choose Delete a form.
  4. Select Delete next to the form/schedule/worksheet in the list and follow the instructions.

Here is a link to a TurboTax article discussing how to delete a form which you also may find helpful.

How to View and Delete Forms in TurboTax Online

cant get around asking for 2439 but did not get on

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

@njpaterson The form 2439 Notice to Shareholder of Undistributed Long-Term Capital Gains Worksheet would flow from a form 1099-MISC or K-1 schedule entry most likely. You need to look through the attachments to those forms to see if there is any information that you didn't include in your entry.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies