turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Should I file with no business name in block C of Schedule C?

Upon review, prior to efiling, Schedule C TurboTax (TT) requests a "name of business" in block C.  But block C states "if no separate business name, leave blank".  So I left it blank as there is no name.  TT reluctant to file without this name which is not required per block C.  Can I file anyway?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
Leonard
Intuit Alumni

Yes, you can file, however, if you follow the steps below the issue with TurboTax asking for a business name will be resolved.

Enter schedule C in the find box and then select Jump to schedule C in the results window.  Select Edit on the line for your business click continue.

On the page Tell Us About Your Business check the radio box I use my name as the name of my business click. This will resolve the issue with TurboTax Premier asking for a business name.

This does not fix the error in the TurboTax program.  It just satisfies TurboTax with a name that the IRS doesn't need.

copdoc

Same problem. Same result: I've already selected "I use my own name for my business name." But Turbotax will just NOT file the taxes without an entry there.

Anyone made a decision about how to get around this?

tmack101

I just figured out how to fix this on my form. You have to go through the "Business Income and Expenses (Sch C)" walkthrough section, and when you get to the "Tell Us About Your Business" page, you have to select "I use my name as the name of my business." It then counterintuitively will make that portion of the form Blank.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies