Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

fotozeman

Should I file a schdule c other business income, for a small amount of side photography business

I am a FT photographer and work for a company. I did a few side jobs last year, should I claim my mileage and file my pay.  It was about $250
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

Should I file a schdule c other business income, for a small amount of side photography business

You should always enter all your income that isn't specifically exempt, no matter the amount. You can take mileage for the business portion only.

If you're self-employed, your deductible miles depend on where your self-employed business is located. If you maintain an office at home, all your miles are typically deductible from your "office" to anyplace business related. You have no commuting in this instance.

If you operate your business from somewhere other than your home, you can't deduct the miles you drive from home to your first business-related stop. They are commuting miles and therefore, not deductible. Of course, you can deduct driving costs from your business location to the bank, a client's office, etc.

fotozeman

Where should I enter the income?  Does it have to be a schedule C?  I know where to add the miles.  I also purchased a camera and a lens last year to do those jobs, can I claim that as well?
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

Yes, it all has to be on Schedule C. You can also depreciate the camera and lens.

• Click on Federal Taxes on the top row of TurboTax Self Employed Online.
• Click Wages & Income
• Under All Income, click Show all income
• Scroll to Self-Employment, click Start
• Click Yes to Did you have any self-employment income or expenses?
Enter any income from sales or services that weren't reported on Forms 1099-Misc.
fotozeman

Thank you.  Where would my purchased equipment get entered?
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

Under business assets, the next module under expenses.
fotozeman

since these are not being depreciated, where should they be applied in expenses?
fotozeman

thanks for all of your help today
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

If you choose to take them as expenses, they would still be entered in the depreciation section as section 179 assets. If you are going to take the full amount of depreciation in one year, you are required to keep them as a business asset for their entire useful life. If you were to remove them from service, you would have to recapture the depreciation.
Glad I was helpful.
fotozeman

what does recapture the depreciation mean?

Section 179 deduction. As a result, you'll be required to recapture the deduction; that is, declare it as taxable income.
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

Just what you said. If you don't keep the asset as business property for it's entire useful life, you have to pay tax on the balance of the depreciation you weren't entitled to take.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies