turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Schedule D incorrectly shows Box A figures in line 1a instead of 1b

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

1a is when you are not providing form 8949 details for the trades which is perfectly ok as long as the sales prices and costs reported to the IRS are correct and there are no adjustments

box 1b is when you are reporting details on form 8949 to the IRS

for then to flow to 1a box 18a on worksheet must be an M and 18b must be  $0 for each trade

to have the details reported remove the M and $0 for each trade. 

the same is true for 8a and 8b

RayWL
Returning Member

This did not work for me. I went through each of the 8949 transactions and not one had anything in box 18a or 18b, yet I have information showing up on both line 1a and 1b, and on line 8a and 8b for long term gains and losses.  You are only supposed to use just line 1a or 1b, and the same goes for line 8a or 8b.  I can't even figure out which transactions are not being reported.  Help desk said I should modify manually and file a paper return.   I don't get it .  It worked perfectly last year, but not this year.  I even deleted everything and did a new import and got the same results.

I have sales from just one of my accounts going to line 1 a and 8 a while the others are going to line 1b and 8b. I want ALL of them to go to 1b and 8b.  I see on the Form 1099-B Wks for this account in the box described as "SALE RESULTS FOR FORM 8949" a column called Adj Code(s) and it says BYPASSS 8949 and it will not let me delete or override that.  WHERE IS THIS COMING FROM?  The correct code of A and D is shown in the detail but it is ignoring it.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies