turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

lisa10

Schedule C won't allow me to delete an unneeded line in the OTHER EXPENSES / Part V section of Schedule C.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Schedule C won't allow me to delete an unneeded line in the OTHER EXPENSES / Part V section of Schedule C.

That section can be kinda finicky.  Read this whole answer below first on how to correct that section.  Some of this answer may not specifically apply to your situation, but when you read the overall answer, you'll understand how things flow in that section and how to get it corrected.  The important part is to not make the edits or entries on the actual Schedule C, Part V itself, but to preferably use the Interview Mode (step-by-step), or secondarily the new Schedule C Worksheet explained below.

Are these entries you are editing in Forms Mode new entries you made in Interview Mode?  Or did you have some transferred-in expenses from 2016?   Transferred-in expenses that come in from 2016 and any new expenses that you entered from the Interview Mode cannot be edited directly on the actual Schedule C, Part V in Forms Mode.    Those expenses are actually being pulled from the new Schedule C Worksheet.  When you are in Forms Mode, in the left-column forms list it is called Schedule C Wks.

The expenses can be edited either on the new Schedule C Worksheet or preferably in the Interview Mode (step-by-step mode).  And when entered in one of those 2 places, it "should" flow to all 3 places correctly.    If you try to edit it on the actual Schedule C, Part V,  however, you'll experience  bizarre behavior with uneditable fields that move around.

While in Forms Mode, look in the left column list of forms, and select the Schedule C Worksheet (may be abbreviated as Schedule C Wks).    On the Worksheet you can scroll way down to   "Miscellaneous Expenses", and then in that subtopic scroll further down to "Other expenses."   You should be able to edit/delete any transferred-in expenses there on the Worksheet.   Then check the Schedule C, Part V to be sure your changes flowed correctly to the Schedule C, Part V.

The other way (and the preferable method) would be use the interview mode (step-by-step) to edit the 2016 transferred expenses.  Other Expenses entered from interview mode flow first to the Schedule C Worksheet, and then to Schedule C, Part V.

Here is another oddity, and is problematic:

Surprisingly, it MIGHT let you enter a new expense directly on Schedule C, Part V, but it should NOT be entered there.  If you enter a new expense there directly on Schedule C, this new expense does NOT flow backward to the Schedule C Worksheet, and it does not flow back to the interview screen in Interview Mode.  So it would not be consistent with the Worksheet or the Interview.    The new total does flow back to the Interview in the 2017 column summary, but on the interview screen, it's not showing in the listed expenses and amounts.

So for your expenses in Part V you can edit them either on the Schedule C Worksheet or (preferably) in the Interview Mode.   A new or edited expense entered in the Interview Mode does appear to flow correctly to both the  Schedule C Worksheet first and then to Schedule C, Part V.

I would recommend all entries and edits for Schedule C Part V and all new "other expenses" be done in Interview Mode to assure that everything flows correctly.   At least until things are toned up in this section.  In any case, once you have corrected and entered all "other expenses", review them in all 3 places---the Interview Mode screens, the Schedule C Worksheet, and the Schedule C itself--to be sure all has flowed correctly and that it is consistent in all 3 places.

And when all "other expenses" have been edited and entered, verify that the total of your "other expenses" is correct on your Schedule C, Line 48 and Line 27a.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

That section can be kinda finicky.  Read this whole answer below first on how to correct that section.  Some of this answer may not specifically apply to your situation, but when you read the overall answer, you'll understand how things flow in that section and how to get it corrected.  The important part is to not make the edits or entries on the actual Schedule C, Part V itself, but to preferably use the Interview Mode (step-by-step), or secondarily the new Schedule C Worksheet explained below.

Are these entries you are editing in Forms Mode new entries you made in Interview Mode?  Or did you have some transferred-in expenses from 2016?   Transferred-in expenses that come in from 2016 and any new expenses that you entered from the Interview Mode cannot be edited directly on the actual Schedule C, Part V in Forms Mode.    Those expenses are actually being pulled from the new Schedule C Worksheet.  When you are in Forms Mode, in the left-column forms list it is called Schedule C Wks.

The expenses can be edited either on the new Schedule C Worksheet or preferably in the Interview Mode (step-by-step mode).  And when entered in one of those 2 places, it "should" flow to all 3 places correctly.    If you try to edit it on the actual Schedule C, Part V,  however, you'll experience  bizarre behavior with uneditable fields that move around.

While in Forms Mode, look in the left column list of forms, and select the Schedule C Worksheet (may be abbreviated as Schedule C Wks).    On the Worksheet you can scroll way down to   "Miscellaneous Expenses", and then in that subtopic scroll further down to "Other expenses."   You should be able to edit/delete any transferred-in expenses there on the Worksheet.   Then check the Schedule C, Part V to be sure your changes flowed correctly to the Schedule C, Part V.

The other way (and the preferable method) would be use the interview mode (step-by-step) to edit the 2016 transferred expenses.  Other Expenses entered from interview mode flow first to the Schedule C Worksheet, and then to Schedule C, Part V.

Here is another oddity, and is problematic:

Surprisingly, it MIGHT let you enter a new expense directly on Schedule C, Part V, but it should NOT be entered there.  If you enter a new expense there directly on Schedule C, this new expense does NOT flow backward to the Schedule C Worksheet, and it does not flow back to the interview screen in Interview Mode.  So it would not be consistent with the Worksheet or the Interview.    The new total does flow back to the Interview in the 2017 column summary, but on the interview screen, it's not showing in the listed expenses and amounts.

So for your expenses in Part V you can edit them either on the Schedule C Worksheet or (preferably) in the Interview Mode.   A new or edited expense entered in the Interview Mode does appear to flow correctly to both the  Schedule C Worksheet first and then to Schedule C, Part V.

I would recommend all entries and edits for Schedule C Part V and all new "other expenses" be done in Interview Mode to assure that everything flows correctly.   At least until things are toned up in this section.  In any case, once you have corrected and entered all "other expenses", review them in all 3 places---the Interview Mode screens, the Schedule C Worksheet, and the Schedule C itself--to be sure all has flowed correctly and that it is consistent in all 3 places.

And when all "other expenses" have been edited and entered, verify that the total of your "other expenses" is correct on your Schedule C, Line 48 and Line 27a.

@lisa
I revised a couple of sentences above for clarity.  If you were emailed the original answer, please return to the forum to see the full info.
lisa10

THANKS for the answer... I am an experienced user, and don't use the interview process.  double clicking the button to go to  supporting document didn't take me to that worksheet, and I totally forgot about it even being there!  duh!

I appreciate your help.  Even experienced people have senior moments sometimes!  hahaha

You're welcome.  The way all that Part V interacts is new for 2017.  And the Sched C Worksheet works differently this year.  It was even glitchier (is that a word?) earlier in filing season when I originally wrote that answer, but they seem to have gotten a lot of the kinks worked out.   

You have to be careful when doing everything in Forms Mode because of sometimes complex interactions between forms and worksheets.   The general recommendation is to prepare the return as much as possible in Interview Mode, then to use Forms Mode for viewing how something is flowing, editing a problematic entry, or to troubleshoot a situation.
Allan J
Returning Member

I am doing on desktop so there is no live support for me apparently but I have the same problem and it doesn't matter whether or not I'm in interview or forms I can't change some entries but can others. My expenses did automatically load from last year so I had to change all of them. Is there a clearer answer to this problem/ Thanks

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies