Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Schedule C in first year of new LLC

I was employed in coporate job through Nov 2021 and had all W2 income.  I started an LLC in Oct but did not record ANY income just some start up expenses.  Is is worth filing out a schedule C for 2021 returns if there was NO income for the new single entity LLC business?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

If you attempted to make money, then yes record the expenses. It will help you this year in offsetting the w-2 income. I am guessing you will have been in a higher tax bracket in 21 being that you had a full time job and this year you are just beginning the business.

Turbo Tax is telling me that I do not qualify for home office deduction as I did not have any income against the business.   I can take the start up costs and asset depreciation.   Is this right?

AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

Yes, you can deduct your startup expenses and begin depreciation of the assets placed in service for your business regardless of whether you had income for those first couple of months.

Also, with regard to the qualified home office, the deduction is limited by the income of the business.  But, if you are using actual home office expenses instead of the simplified method, then the expenses will be carried forward to a year where they can be deducted.

@dswright1

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies