Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Reserve sheriff and off duty security jobs

My friend is a carpenter by day and has his own business for which he files a Schedule C.  He became a reserve sheriff's deputy (which is volunteer) and during 2021, he earned about $4,000 as a security guard while wearing his reserve sheriff uniform and having the jobs coordinated through a liaison person with the sheriff's department.  He will receive 1099-NECs from 3 separate entities since each exceeded the $600 threshold for this service. 

He has some miscellaneous expenses, mostly related to uniforms and some training events, so he will want to offset that income with those expenses. 

Does he need to file another Schedule C for this activity and make it like a business?  It seems that the 1099-NEC flows through to Other Income on Schedule 1 of the 1040 (and therefore does not get subjected to SE Tax).  I am not finding anything solid to indicate that this is or is not subject to SE taxes.  If he doesn't file another Schedule C and then show the income and offsetting expenses (and pay the SE tax on the net as usual), where does he show these miscellaneous expenses?  Thank you for any help you can provide!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

It is subject to self employment tax.   He should add another Schedule C for it and then can enter expenses.

I would just enter it as Other self employment income or as Cash or General income.  You don't need to get a 1099NEC or 1099Misc or 1099K.  Even if you did you can enter all your income as Cash.  Only the total goes to schedule C.

Thank you for the quick response.  You confirmed what I was thinking.  

I recommend that each 1099-NEC be listed separately on the new Schedule C to avoid any potential matching notices from the IRS.

*A reminder that posts in a forum such as this do not constitute tax advice.
Also keep in mind the date of replies, as tax law changes.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies