Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jackbot70

Rental Property Travel

I traveled to my rental property, ~1800 miles round trip, in my personal vehicle.  I went to fix an issue with the water, deliver/install a new stove, and clear snow from the driveway.  The trip was a 2.5 day trip.  My expenses were food, gas, and tolls.  This is the only time I have used my vehicle for the rental property.  What can I deduct and where would I put it?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Rental Property Travel

@jackbot70 wrote:

What can I deduct and where would I put it?

The expenses are entered on Line 6 of Schedule E but, in TurboTax, you need to start in the Rental Properties and Royalties section of the program and enter them separately (travel is entered under Expenses while your personal vehicle expenses are entered under Vehicle Expenses).

For auto and travel expense rules relating to rental property see the following link.

https://www.irs.gov/instructions/i1040se#idm140630720093136

KarenM90
Intuit Alumni

Rental Property Travel

Your travel expenses related to the maintenance of your rental property are deductible on Schedule E (Rental and Royalty Income and Expense Schedule). 

You will need to be sure to keep your receipts for your travel expenses as well as mileage records to document your expenses.  TurboTax will walk you the deductions for Travel as well as for the Auto-related Expenses.  

Special Note:  Although you can include Food as part of your Travel expenses, that deduction is limited to 50% of the total cost of your meals.  

For more detailed information, I am including a 2 links to IRS publications. 

Publication 463 Chapter 1, details the rules related to Travel and Auto Expenses: 

Travel, Gift, and Car Expenses

Publication 527 at the bottom of page 4 details travel expenses as they are related to rentals and the entire publication is devoted to other information regarding rental properties.  Rental Properties

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies