Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why isn't Form 4835 available or "ready" in Turbo Tax

I have our 2020 taxes completely ready to file although they include Form 4835 for our Farm Rental, although I can't file because Turbo Tax doesn't have this form "ready" until 3/4/2021...why would this be??? I have used Turbotax for many years and have never had this type of an issue.  IRS says the form is ready so why wouldn't Turbotax update?  Does anyone else have this issue?  Thank you in advance

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

42 Replies
HelenC12
Expert Alumni

We are waiting for the IRS to finalize and give us approval to update our software for Form 4835, Farm Rental Income and Expenses and many other forms.  As of today, it's estimated that the form will be available sometime on 03/04/2021.

• Landowners and sub-lessors that do not materially participate in the operation or management of the farm (for self-employment tax purposes), file this form to report farm rental income based on crops or livestock produced by the tenant.

This delay is being caused by the Covid-19 pandemic and year end tax revisions.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I found this form on the IRS website so if it's available there, I would think we could use it, print it out and submit taxes via postal mail.  Or save as a pdf and attach to the filing of the other forms

Are the other tax prep software package such as H & R block having the same issue?

Here is the website and form online  https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-access/f4835_accessible.pdf

Checked with our local H&R block office and they are not having this issue with Form 4835--just TurboTax.

And as I had previously said, I have used TurboTax for many years and love the product...although with this issue not so much!

Every issue everywhere is  Covid related, I truly don't see this being Covid related problem. 

Thank you for your response

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

Once the IRS finalizes their current year forms, it takes some time to prepare it for filing in the tax software. It doesn't prevent preparation, but it will delay e-file due to IRS specification requirements.

Currently this is scheduled for release on February 25th.  To check the federal forms availability in TurboTax you can click here.

• To enter Form 4835 Go to Federal TaxesIncome & Expenses, then scroll down and find a tab for All Income.
  • Find the topic "Rentals, Royalties, and Farm" and choose Start or Update.

Diane,

Feb 25th is an improvement over March date.  I prefer to try E-File this year, so wanted to expedite.  Thanks for this update.

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

I am happy to assist and appreciate your feedback.  You are most welcome.

wolford2004
Returning Member

Hellooooo???? Does anyone know farmers tax returns are due March 1st.   Now the forms are not available until March 3 or 4???   Guess we have to do a extension - or did the government extend the due date???

I don't believe Form 4835 is for actual "farmers", this form is for people like myself who rent their farms out although I could be wrong and wouldn't be the first time and definitely won't be the last.  Years ago, we filed our farm income/expenses on Schedule F as a farmer like most do.

Hopefully this might help you.

Thank you for this updated information, it is much appreciated! 

pawalker

4835 covers a lot of territory...depending on where it feeds into...either Schedule E for Rental Property or Schedule F Farming.  In either case delaying the form finalization internally is not a good Omen for TurboTax...customers may look for some other brand of software in the future.  

Hi pawalker,

I totally agree, that is why I ask the initial question to the Turbotax experts....I'm needing this form  ASAP. 

Thank you for your response 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies