turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Which version to use for a single member LLC owner whose LLC also receives K-1 from other firm?

I'm the owner of a single member LLC: A LLC. A LLC is a partner of another firm B LLC and A received schedule K-1 from B. My question is: can I use online self employed turbotax to file my return ? If so, where to enter the K-1 form A received from B in turbotax ?

Thanks

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
M-MTax
Level 10

Which version to use for a single member LLC owner whose LLC also receives K-1 from other firm?

A single member LLC is disregarded unless an election to be treated as a corporation is made. So, it's the same as if you received the K-1 and is entered the same way.

Carl
Level 15

You can use the Self-employed version just fine. Since a single member LLC is a disregarded entity, you'll enter the K-1 under the Personal Income tab in the section for Business/Investment and Estate/Trust Income section.

The K-1 should be issued in YOUR and and YOUR identification number, not the name of the Single Member LLC.  If that is not being done, you and the Partnership are doing it incorrectly.

From the Instructions:

If the partner in the partnership is an entity, such as single-member limited liability company (LLC), that is a disregarded entity (DE) for federal income tax purposes, enter the TIN of the beneficial owner of the DE partner in item E rather than the TIN of the DE partner. The beneficial owner is the taxpayer who owns the DE partner. In item F, enter the name and address of the beneficial owner of the DE partner. See the instructions for item H2 below.

If the partner is a DE, check the box and provide the name and TIN of the DE partner. The partnership should make reasonable attempts to obtain the DE’s TIN. If after making reasonable attempts to obtain the DE’s TIN such TIN is unavailable or unknown to the partnership, the partnership may report the DE’s TIN as unknown. If the DE does not have a TIN, enter “None” in the space for the DE’s TIN.

https://www.irs.gov/instructions/i1065#idm[phone number removed]840

Thank you @AmeliesUncle @Carl @M-MTax for the promote reply! Another question is: all my business income for A LLC is from B (schedule K1, I know A is a disregarded entity, but K1 from B still has firm A's name and number on it (as well as my personal id)). For the business expenses, for example the computers i purchased under A LLC, should I deduct it as B's expenses ? (since I don't need to issue myself K1 from A, turbotax think there's no income from A)

I'm confused how to report the business expenses. Do I even need to mention firm A at all ?

For income tax purposes, firm A does not exist.  It is reported as if YOU receive the K-1.

If the K-1 is from a Partnership (1065) AND the Partnership Agreement requires you to pay for those business expenses, there is a spot for entering "Unreimbursed Partnership Expenses" (UPE) in the K-1 section.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies