turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Where do I enter my 1099-R on my 1041 estate trust return?

The answers regarding how to enter the information on a 1099-R into the 1041 module of TurboTax Business are correct. 

As far as when Intuit will add the form to the program, my guess would be that they will never add it.

Irene2805
Expert Alumni

You can also add the taxes withheld on the 1099-R as "Estimated Payments."

I need help

@Staceyford wrote:

I need help

With what? @Staceyford 

You have to remember that if you are filing for a deceased parent and entered their final 1040 in one year any income received in the following years for their estate are now filed with a 1041 even if it was not received under the Trust EIN.  I learned the hard way and fought the IRS for over 2 years to straighten out a return after following incorrect information received on these boards. 

The quick short answers given on these boards only provide some of the information required to file returns correctly. TurboTax needs to have all the correct information in their programs and not rely on rookie tax know it alls to help us. 

@Luppoe wrote:

You have to remember that if you are filing for a deceased parent and entered their final 1040 in one year any income received in the following years for their estate are now filed with a 1041 even if it was not received under the Trust EIN.

That is an inaccurate statement and, actually, conflates an estate with a trust (they are different). Anyone ---a n y o n e--- who cannot discern the difference should not be allowed anywhere near a 1041.

Further, IRD does not always need to be reported on a 1041; it is reported by the individual (or entity) that receives it.

That is exactly why this blog should not be used for TAX help. I left out the fact that everything went into a trust from the estate. There are a lot of little facts left out of the help given here and they cause more issues for the people looking for assistance. 

gloriah5200
Expert Alumni

Yes, any distributions from the annuity received by your mother prior to her death belongs on her final individual income tax return.

Any distributions (IRD) from the annuity received after her date of death would belong on the return for the estate if there was no beneficiary and it had not been placed into the trust.  You can enter the description that it was 1099R from the name of the company.  

Any distributions (IRD) from the annuity received after the date of death by the beneficiary would belong on the beneficiary's income tax return.

Any distributions from the annuity received after her date of death that went into the trust would be reported on the trust return on the other income line.  You can enter the description that it was 1099R from the name of the company.  

For additional information, please refer to:

IRS Publication 559 Survivors Executors and Administrators

nickrodz

I decided to enter the 1099-R withholding amount on Schedule G part 1 item 2d with a note "Withheld on 1099-R box 4". 

@nickrodz See the screenshot below.

1.png

ssmith09

I have a 1099 R on an estate trust filing with federal withholding$$. (EIN) How do I get that properly recorded on the tax return so i get it back?

@ssmith09 Use Forms Mode and see the screenshot below.

1.png

Actually, you need not go into Forms Mode to enter the Form 1099-R - SEE PDF attached

In the Income screen, select Other Income

The result on the Form 1041 is the same - note that you report explicitly in the Text when in the Other Income

If this posted response is useful to you, please click on the upraised hand in the lower left of this post. Thank you. Scruffy Curmudgeon--PFFM/ IAFF, retired FireFighter/Paramedic - Locals 718/30, Veteran USAR O3 AIS/ASA '65-'67

NOT INTUIT EMPLOYEE
USAR 64-67 AIS/ASA MOS 9301 - O3

- Just donating my time
**Say Thanks by clicking the thumb icon in the lower left corner -it means nothing but makes those than answer feel wanted.

That works. Just wanted to know if should also add name and tin number of annuity payer to description?

@ron6612 wrote:

...wanted to know if should also add name and tin number of annuity payer to description?

You can use that as a description if you like.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies