Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TurboTax doesn't seem to offset my taxes owed when I lost money in my business

I have a job where I get W-2, investment income with capital gains, and single-member LLC.  After submitting my W-2, investment income I owe about $1k in taxes.  After submitting my business income and expenses my business incurred a lost of $4k from consultation, fees, advertisement, etc.  I was expecting the taxes owed to drop significantly but to my surprised it was unchanged.   What's going on?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Thanks for the tip.  I went back to the Business section where Sch C is.  I figured the Active Role might be cause so I change the answer from "No" to "Yes".  Right after I selected "Yes" it was able to offset my entire tax owed with some tax return back.  The reason I selected "No" before was because I really don't spend much time on this business because its automated.  

ActiveRole.png

View solution in original post

2 Replies

A couple of thoughts:

• Have you actually looked at your return to understand what your Schedule C looks like?
  • You need to go through the TT questions and make sure you answer the question about at-risk correctly.  You need to make sure you check the box where it asks if all of your investment is "at-risk".
*A reminder that posts in a forum such as this do not constitute tax advice.
Also keep in mind the date of replies, as tax law changes.

Thanks for the tip.  I went back to the Business section where Sch C is.  I figured the Active Role might be cause so I change the answer from "No" to "Yes".  Right after I selected "Yes" it was able to offset my entire tax owed with some tax return back.  The reason I selected "No" before was because I really don't spend much time on this business because its automated.  

ActiveRole.png

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies