Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Taking S Corp Loss at the end of the year

My S corp was usually profitable since last 7 years , but this year the revenue declined . After running the books I am seeing ~15K in losses in FY2021. How does Turbo Tax handle the loss on schedule K?

Can these losses be allowed to be transferred on my personal tax return?

Thanks

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

The expenses you paid using PPP money are still deductible on the corp return ... it is immaterial to the income tax return that the money came from a forgiven PPP loan ... again the PPP anything is only a bookkeeping entry and is not reported on the income tax return.   Due to this many companies will show a loss which is justified and allowed. 

View solution in original post

7 Replies

@kevin_ny_2003 wrote:

Can these losses be allowed to be transferred on my personal tax return?

The net loss can be transferred to your personal income tax return via the K-1 (1120-S) from your S corporation.

Note that you need sufficient basis to recognize the loss on your personal return or the loss will be suspended.

See https://www.irs.gov/instructions/i1120ssk#idm140355075930352

also, be aware that Turbotax does not track basis.

I took at PPP small business loan which was completely forgiven in the same FY 2021.  I suppose loan is not an income and it was forgiven so it evens out in balance sheet. How should the loan be used  to calculate the basis or it can't be used to track the basis?

Thanks

Loans from outside sources are NOT considered in the owner's basis calculations.  The PPP loans that are forgiven are not income nor a deduction when forgiven ... this is only a balancing  book entry in your records. 

Thank You both for the response. 

In this case if the revenue this year was less and I was able to pay in  payroll due to PPP loan ,  does this mean the losses resulting from this scenario will be washed off . How do I handle this case in Turbotax?

Thanks much

The expenses you paid using PPP money are still deductible on the corp return ... it is immaterial to the income tax return that the money came from a forgiven PPP loan ... again the PPP anything is only a bookkeeping entry and is not reported on the income tax return.   Due to this many companies will show a loss which is justified and allowed. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies