Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Reporting 1099-MISC that is not related to business

Hello,

My wife worked few weeks in 2019 as a sales person in a private store for 1099. I am entering this 1099-MISC info as personal income, but TurboTax takes me to the business section where it wants to treat this data as _business_ income and asks lots of questions about my wife's business. But this is not a business, and not her business, she was just working for someone.

How do I make TurboTax not associate this income with a business and just treat it as personal income?

Thank you

--Alex

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

As you go through the entry questions for your wife's 1099-Misc, choose 'Not her main job' and 'No intention to earn money' (screenshots).

The income will be reported as Other Income on your return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Looks like that worked, thank you!

That sort of seems like lying.  No intent to earn money?

I was told a few years back that when you enter a 1099 it just makes a schedule C and that's the way it works.

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

My pleasure!

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

The problem is, it makes this working at the store fore few hundred dollars stint into a business, and the questions it asks are irrelevant. I am sure thee are situations that are applicable for this, though. Just not ours.

--Alex

https://www.irs.gov/faqs/small-business-self-empl[product key removed]ess/form-1099-misc-independent...
"Generally, if you're an independent contractor you're considered self-employed and should report your income (nonemployee compensation) on Schedule C (Form 1040 or 1040-SR), Profit or Loss From Business (Sole Proprietorship). Most self-employed individuals will need to pay self-employment tax (comprised of social security and Medicare taxes) if their income (net earnings from self-employment) is $400 or more. Use Schedule SE (Form 1040 or 1040-SR), Self-Employment Tax to figure the tax due."

and: https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/business-taxes/discussion/if-i-got-a-1099-do-i-have-to-file-schedu...

"It depends on which Box of the 1099-MISC the income is reported. If you have "Non-employee compensation" (Box 7 of a 1099-MISC), according to the IRS it is considered income from self-employment. You are considered to have a self-employed "business" and you are the "owner". TurboTax will help you report it as Business Income on a Schedule C or C-EZ. "

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies