turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

ToddL99
Expert Alumni

On this year's New York State W-2 in Box 14 there is "NYPFL" and “NYDBL”. What category description should I choose for these box 14 entries?

Yes, you can use  "Other deductible state or local tax" as the Box 14 category for NYPFLVP.

You can also enter  "Other - not classified" or  "Other – not on above list". Your entry here will not affect your ability to e-file or your tax calculation.  

Employers can put just about anything in box 14; it's a catch-all for items that don't have their own dedicated box on the W-2.   

If you don't see a category in the TurboTax list that matches your W-2 entry, don’t worry. We'll figure out if it impacts your return or not. If we need more information, we'll ask you. 

On this year's New York State W-2 in Box 14 there is "NYPFL" and “NYDBL”. What category description should I choose for these box 14 entries?

I also have an amount of Transit in box 14.  How should I categorize this?

KrisD15
Employee Tax Expert

Box 14 is not used on your tax return. 

It is used by your employer's payroll department. 

You can choose whatever looks right or leave Box 14 on a W-2 blank.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
TB6

Any idea what box to select so that NYS can be efiled?  When selecting other, it's kicking it into a paper return.   

ToddL99
Expert Alumni

The Description (your entry) is whatever showing on your W-2.  

The drop-down code would have to be one these "other" codes:

• State deductible employee expense
  • Other deductible state or local tax
  • Other - not classified

You can file your NY return by mail. They "require" you to e-file, but there are numerous exceptions to that requirement. 

so, it has to be my mail .... no ability to efile to NY because of some mandatory tax we have to pay???

AmyC
Employee Tax Expert

@jcastro002 NY wants you to efile.  Enter the correct box 14 and the program handles it for you.

Andrews1

Hello! Re-opening this thread for 2022! (2021 taxes) NYS can just be listed as Other Not Classified, correct?

FangxiaL
Expert Alumni

Yes, both are Other (not classified).

@Andrews1

Setp
Returning Member

If you select other… you have to mail your return in to Ny state. Is there another option? This happened last year too. A real hassle. 

LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

For NYPFL and NYDBL, please choose Other deductible state or local tax from the drop-down list. If you itemize deductions on your federal tax return, these contributions are deductible on Schedule A. Choosing this option will not prevent you from e-filing your return. 

@Setp

GiuseppeG

I'm receiving a message indicating that I am ineligible for e-filing with the reason:

AmyC
Employee Tax Expert

Can you clarify what reason you are given and verify what you have selected for box 14 on the w2 dropdown?

@GiuseppeG

shainzl

When you select other, you become ineligible for e-filing....  Boo (for 2 years now...)

Not Eligible for Electronic Filing
Why? Well, it looks like you have a tax situation in your New York return that makes it ineligible for e-filing.

Reason for e-file ineligibility:

Public employee retirement contributions must be categorized as either subject to tax or tax exempt. The only valid tax category entries for public employee retirement contributions on W-2 box 14 are either 1) NY IRC 414(h) Subject to NY tax or 2) NY IRC 414(h) NY tax exempt. Other - not on above list is not acceptable for e-file in NY. In most cases, public employee retirement contributions are subject to tax. Review all W-2 Box 14 entries on your Federal return in the Wages and Income Section. If you do not see the tax category box next to the box 14 amount field then click Continue and on the next screen click Back.

These rules are set by the New York State Department of Taxation and Finance.

The good news is you can still print your New York return and file it by mail.

What category should i select

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies