turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Is there a way to enter Other Portfolio Income (schedule E, part 1,line 4) and associated legal expenses (line 10) ?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Is there a way to enter Other Portfolio Income (schedule E, part 1,line 4) and associated legal expenses (line 10) ?

Generally, portfolio income is not reported on Sch E.  Part I is used to report income/deductions from rental real estate and Royalty income/expenses.  I interpret your comment of "Other Portfolio Income" to be investment income.  Not reported on Sch E.

See Instructions for Sch E

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040se.pdf

Link here for Investment Income and Expenses (Portfolio Income)

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p550.pdf

**Disclaimer: Effort has been made to offer correct information; but due to the discussion forum limitations, the poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the poster's response**
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was specifically instructed to enter these details on schedule E (other portfolio income comes from distribution from a trust and expenses are legal fees paid by the trust). Thus my question of  how to force Turbotax to enter these numbers?

Dece80
Returning Member

Please let me know if you figured this out.  "Other portfolio income" is a nightmare for Turbotax.

For 2021 tax year, Sch K-1 (1041) would be entered in Personal Income

Go down to Business Investment and Estate/Trust Income and then click on Sch K-1

Select Estates or Trust (Form 1041)

Enter all the information from the Sch K-1.   For 2021, Box 5 is Other Portfolio Income

As for the expenses, they should be listed on the Sch K-1 and you may have to check the instructions for the beneficiary to determine where they go and if currently deductible.

**Disclaimer: Effort has been made to offer correct information; but due to the discussion forum limitations, the poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the poster's response**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies