Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jenny59
Returning Member

If I hire my spouse in my sole proprietor LLC what is the best way to go about it ?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

If I hire my spouse in my sole proprietor LLC what is the best way to go about it ?

Just like any other employee ... you must have/get an EIN for the business and indicate you will have employee(s) then actually pay the employee and file the correct payroll tax reports quarterly and pay the payroll taxes timely. Also check your state for their requirements.  

Step 1: Have all employees complete a W-4. To get paid, employees need to complete Form W-4 to document their filing status and keep track of personal allowances. The more allowances or dependents workers have, the less payroll taxes are taken out of their paychecks each pay period. Note that for each new employee you hire, you need to file a new hire report.

Step 2: Find or sign up for Employer Identification Numbers. Before you do payroll yourself, make sure you have your Employer Identification Number (EIN) ready. An EIN is kind of like an SSN for your business and is used by the IRS to identify a business entity and anyone else who pays employees. If you don’t have an EIN, you can apply for one here on the IRS site. You may also need to get a state EIN number; check your state’s employer resources for more details.

Step 3: Choose your payroll schedule. After you register for your Employer Identification Numbers, get insured (don’t forget workers’ compensation), and display workplace posters, you need to add three important dates to your calendar: employee pay dates, tax payment due dates, and tax filing deadlines (read more about basic labor laws here).

Step 4: Calculate and withhold income taxes. When it comes time to pay your employees, you need to determine which federal and state taxes to withhold from your employees’ pay by using the IRS Withholding Calculator and your state’s resource or a reliable paycheck calculator. You must also keep track of both the employee and employer portion of taxes as you go.

Step 5: Pay taxes. When it’s time to pay taxes, you need to submit your federal, state, and local tax deposits, as applicable (usually on a monthly basis).

Step 6: File tax forms & employee W-2s. Finally, be sure to send in your employer federal tax return (usually each quarter) and any state or local returns, as applicable. And last but not least, don’t forget about preparing your annual filings and W-2s at the end of the year.

Note: This is not an exhaustive list of your responsibilities as an employer. For advice specific to your business, be sure to go over federal and state requirements or consult with a professional.

Depending upon your state, you may also need to pay into worker's comp programs.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies