turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

help: cannot file because of schedule C error: employee credits for small businesses

I have been using Turbotax self-employed Online for over 5-year. I have no any issue to file tax before. However, this year (2024),  at the review step, I get the Schedule C error message "we're updating employee credits for small businesses and farms, please check back with us XXX." (the check back date is always 1 week later when I check every day) 

I've transmitted my return to an agent with token number 1186278. Please let me know if there is a solution to this.

Thank you

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

163 Replies
PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

help: cannot file because of schedule C error: employee credits for small businesses

We have confirmed the error message you see during the Review process is related to Form 8881 Employee Credits for Small Businesses and Farms. This form is now scheduled to be ready with the program updates on February 28, 2024. We recommend you wait until the next day to update TurboTax, then run Review again. The e-file hold should be released.

Please be aware that this is a new form, and our tech support team is working to ensure all returns with this form are accurate according to the IRS.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

thanks

This was scheduled to be fixed today, February 20th. And now it’s delayed again. I’ve been ready to file for over 3 weeks now and the issue has been pushed out every week since I encountered it. Is there a confirmation that this is even needed? Can it be worked around? I’m in the same boat - have used Turbo Tax for years and never had an issue until this year. 

devinff7

Please advise; exactly what the original poster has said is happening to me as well.  Every day that I check the return it keeps being pushed back to exactly one week away.  I will not be eligible for any additional tax credits with Form 8881, nor do I need to fill it out: so I need to be able to bypass this as soon as possible..    I am confused as to why a form that doesn't even apply to me is holding up my filing?  

Devin

PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

TurboTax programmers are currently implementing some recent IRS changes for calculating employee credits for small businesses. Form 8881 relates to all businesses with employee wages. According to the Forms Availability Table, the estimated date of release is February 28, 2024. Because updates are released after business hours Pacific time, we recommend waiting until the next day to update TurboTax (if using Desktop) and run Review again. The hold on Schedule C should be resolved.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Hello, this is happening to me as well, they have been moving the goalpost for about about two weeks now. Every time I login it shows a different date that's further away. Mine now says ready February the 29th... Is there an actual date that should be ready? 

Thanks!

Ddw2
Level 1

Now pushed to 3/1 Im regretting not using H&R Block, and im stuck because I already paid TT

I too am getting the same message and now it's saying to check back March 1st!! This is insanely annoying. I have waited over a week to freaking file my return at this point and you guys are forcing us to wait to file over a form that may or may not apply to us? I do not get retirement start up credits, as I did not start this retirement plan last year and it was not even a thing for my business since march. I do not need to wait for this. Even if so, we should be allowed to decide if we want to wait to even recieve the credit or not! You guys need to fix this so I can file my return. I'm not sure what your waiting on but all you guys keep doing is pushing the date further and further out. I'm fixing to go through another tax site such as H&R block if this isn't resolved soon. 

It appears that Form 8881 is intended for the Tax Credit for Small Employer Pension Plan Startup Costs. However, my small business does not have any pension plan, and this form is unrelated to my tax return. It seems unusual that Form 8881 is preventing the submission of my tax return. Alternatively, it would be helpful if there were an option to exclude this credit and proceed with submitting the tax return. I will remain hopeful and wait until February 29 for a resolution. If the issue persists beyond that date, I may consider using another tax return software, especially considering our state business tax return is due on March 15. The situation is causing confusion as my tax return is currently held up due to an unrelated Form 8881

Hello. Is this for sure to be fixed by or on 28 February? 

Millerg2

I'm in the same position. The date keeps pushing out. It's moved three times. Is there a real update?

Quickbooks is advertising an Early Bird Discount to file before 2/29 but due to their inability to allow for filing, there is no way to access this early bird filing this year. Please fix the schedule C issue so we can file our taxes for small businesses. And stop giving a 1 week bump out date from whenever the review is run. I work with a couple of different tax softwares and Turbotax is the only one that is giving this error to it's customers. Thanks.

Is this a Turbo Tax issue or is it the IRS? This is very very frustrating as I am ready to file and you keep pushing the date out.  Also, I am sure that I will not be getting any credit anyway.  So all in all I say WTF. 

Ditto.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies