turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Family Paid Leave Tax Credit for S-Corp Shareholder Employees

I'd like to claim a credit on our S-Corp return, and I've filled out the form for a tax credit of $5000.

To confirm, can this credit be used for an officer/shareholder who is also an employee? I read through the IRS' detailed FAQs regarding this credit and didn't see anything about an officer employee not being eligible.

However, right now that results in line 8 on 1120s being negative (the amount of the credit); is that ok?

When I do an Error Check in TurboTax, it seems to want me to list wages under A in the Worksheet, even though it's already under Compensation of Officers (item 7). However, if I put the wages there, it incorrectly doubles the wages Deduction for the Return by also counting the same officer compensation as item 7.

But TT doesn't like it if I leave it blank: it says "Total Employment Credits to Line 8 must be less than or equal to zero"...

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

I've clarified/updated my question (again). Any help here?

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

The paid family leave credit would show on form 8994, line 3. It should flow over to schedule K, which is on page 3 of an S corporation return 1120-S, on line 13(f).

The credit would be allowed for an officer, but that officer would have to have wages listed on line 7 of form 1120-S, page one of the S corporation tax return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Ok, great.

That being said, TurboTax is still saying there is an error, per my original post. I guess I will ignore it...?

Just discovering it won't let me e-file with the error. Help! 

Thanks for the information wrt the eligibility of an officer wrt this credit.

The OP had a specific question about form data entry which has remained unanswered, however.

FWIW, I had the same form-related problem as did the OP (indeed, we do not have any non-officer employees). What I did was manually subtract the Line 8 credit amount from the Line 7 "Compensation of officers" amount.

IHTHS! Please pipe in if my "guidance" is not good practice...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies