Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can i fix tax depreciate base if I got it wrong

I have a rental property and deducted the depreciation last year but I got it wrong. I bought the property for $190k but i mistakenly put $110k for the depreciation base. The land value is $50k which i deducted. So how can i correct it for 2019?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

@Seanz wrote:

So how can i correct it for 2019?

You should amend your 2018 return to include the correct basis, which will affect your 2018 depreciation deduction.

See https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/amend-return/how-to-file-an-amended-return-with-the-irs/L6kO691...

GiseleD
Expert Alumni

First, you will want to amend the 2018 return to correct the incorrect depreciation. When you amend it, you can print the return and the worksheets, which will show you the correct depreciation to be carried forward to 2019. 

@Seanz

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@Seanz wrote:

The land value is $50k which i deducted.

So how can i correct it for 2019?

YOU don't deduct the land.  Enter the TOTAL price, then as a separate entry you enter the land.  Then the program will deduct the land.

After you amend 2018, then on your 2019 return you will "edit" the "asset" for depreciation and you can change things to the correct numbers.  When it asks you for the "prior depreciation", but sure to enter what you SHOULD have taken in 2018 (if you leave it blank the program will automatically assume that).

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies