turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tylerocon

Personal Computer Used for Work during COVID Pandemic

Hi all,

Back in 2017, I purchased a laptop for personal use, and used it 100% for personal use between 2017 and April 1, 2020.  Starting April 1, 2020, my employer had us all work from home due to COVID-19, and was unable to provide a separate laptop to me for work until September, so I used my personal laptop about 75% of the time for my job.  In September, I stopped using the laptop for work in lieu of an employer-provided laptop, at which point the first laptop broke down

I'm running into an issue where I don't know how to answer the Special Handling section when reporting it as an asset, because I used it 100% for personal use for the first 3 years, and then 75% for business for 5 months, and then disposed of it entirely.  Would the "variable business use percentage" scenario apply to me in this situation?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Personal Computer Used for Work during COVID Pandemic

If you are not self-employed you cannot deduct anything regarding the use of your computer.

Sorry---W-2 employees cannot deduct expenses for working from home.  Job-related expenses were eliminated as a deduction for W-2 employees by the tax laws that changed for 2018 and beyond.  Your state tax laws might be different.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4482873-which-federal-tax-deductions-have-been-suspended-by-tax-re...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies