turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jandca08

Can anyone tell me how to fill out lines 13-20 on form 8379? I am so confused and can't find answers nowhere!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DianeW
Expert Alumni

Can anyone tell me how to fill out lines 13-20 on form 8379? I am so confused and can't find answers nowhere!

Yes.  This information comes from the tax return and can be completed based on whether you are in a community property state or not. TurboTax completes most of the entries, but here are further instructions for you on areas you can change to your advantage based on the laws for your state.

Line 13: Income does have to be entered under the spouse who earned the income (or split evenly if in a community property state).

Line 14: Adjustments to income are taken from that section of the tax return (you may not have any).  If you do have any, apply them to the spouse who they belong to based on the earnings.

Line 15: If the injured spouse has all the income, take all of the standard deduction (let the IRS adjust it if they want to when they get the form).

Line 16: Put all the exemptions under the injured spouse if the other spouse has not income.  If the other spouse (the one with the debt) does have income put only one exemption under that spouse.

Line 17: Enter all credits from that section of your tax return under the injured spouse (if there are any besides earned income credit).

Line 18: If you don't have this, you can ignore it. If you have this, it may be self employment tax.  Put that under the spouse who had self employment income, if applicable).  If you are using TurboTax Free, you do not have this.

Line 19: Enter the federal withholding for each spouse from their W2s.  If you don't have any leave this blank. You are considered to have payments (federal withholding) on the tax return if you do have the earned income credit.  Just be sure you answer yes to that question (Part 1, question 6)

Line 20: Any other additional payments made to the IRS for your tax.  Money you paid on your own or withholding from other documents that are not included in line 19.

Below you will find other tips that may be useful.

Allocate as much as possible to the injured spouse based on the criteria below.  It really depends on whether you live in a community property state or not.

1. If you do not in a community property state, and both of you have income, you can divide exemptions and deductions up any way you see fit. Enter most of the deductions under the injured spouse. It is possible the IRS may make some adjustments based on the income levels for each of you.  Let them do that when they receive it. 
  2.  If you do live in a community property state, community income would be split equally between the two spouses.  With respect to deductions, the deductions would be split depending on whether the expenses related to community income or separate income.

• There are nine community property states: Arizona, California, Idaho, Louisiana, Nevada, New Mexico, Texas, Washington and Wisconsin
    • Alaska is an opt-in community property state that gives both parties the option to make their property community property.

View solution in original post

19 Replies

jandca08

Yes, that's no help. I have read and re-read those instructions. Thanks though!

As indicated below, it's spelled out on page 3 of that publication,
Saphire

do we use gross income or adjusted gross income?
DianeW
Expert Alumni

Yes.  This information comes from the tax return and can be completed based on whether you are in a community property state or not. TurboTax completes most of the entries, but here are further instructions for you on areas you can change to your advantage based on the laws for your state.

Line 13: Income does have to be entered under the spouse who earned the income (or split evenly if in a community property state).

Line 14: Adjustments to income are taken from that section of the tax return (you may not have any).  If you do have any, apply them to the spouse who they belong to based on the earnings.

Line 15: If the injured spouse has all the income, take all of the standard deduction (let the IRS adjust it if they want to when they get the form).

Line 16: Put all the exemptions under the injured spouse if the other spouse has not income.  If the other spouse (the one with the debt) does have income put only one exemption under that spouse.

Line 17: Enter all credits from that section of your tax return under the injured spouse (if there are any besides earned income credit).

Line 18: If you don't have this, you can ignore it. If you have this, it may be self employment tax.  Put that under the spouse who had self employment income, if applicable).  If you are using TurboTax Free, you do not have this.

Line 19: Enter the federal withholding for each spouse from their W2s.  If you don't have any leave this blank. You are considered to have payments (federal withholding) on the tax return if you do have the earned income credit.  Just be sure you answer yes to that question (Part 1, question 6)

Line 20: Any other additional payments made to the IRS for your tax.  Money you paid on your own or withholding from other documents that are not included in line 19.

Below you will find other tips that may be useful.

Allocate as much as possible to the injured spouse based on the criteria below.  It really depends on whether you live in a community property state or not.

1. If you do not in a community property state, and both of you have income, you can divide exemptions and deductions up any way you see fit. Enter most of the deductions under the injured spouse. It is possible the IRS may make some adjustments based on the income levels for each of you.  Let them do that when they receive it. 
  2.  If you do live in a community property state, community income would be split equally between the two spouses.  With respect to deductions, the deductions would be split depending on whether the expenses related to community income or separate income.

• There are nine community property states: Arizona, California, Idaho, Louisiana, Nevada, New Mexico, Texas, Washington and Wisconsin
    • Alaska is an opt-in community property state that gives both parties the option to make their property community property.
jandca08

Best answer ever! You are a lifesaver, thank you!
DianeW
Expert Alumni

@jandca08 You are welcome!  Thank you for the feedback!

If I have no federal withholdings but I do have EIC, do I put the EIC amount into line 19?

NO
nbowdn1

#15 what if the injured spouse doesn't have all the income and both spouses earned income?
nbowdn1

What about child and dependent care expenses?

Thank you for your detailed information on how to fill out form 8379. This information you provided helped my office fill out this form for the first time for one of our valued customers. Bravo!

Thank you.

If I do not put anything at all for other spouse will they still look at it.

This is my thinking I live in calif.

If I fill it out 1/2 and half everything 

Will it cause them to give refund my husband less maybe instead of more

But I also read somewhere if u don't claim at least one exemption (non injured spouse it will be rejected.

I don't know why this seems so difficult I just don't want to have to send it in and get rejected from my own mistake.

So in California I should claim half of everything between us both. That's listed as income and credits and ftwh (fed inc.tx.whld) 

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies