dunburqu

It's asking me to provide a link to schedule c for my 1099-nec after i've already looked over and supplied all information. I cannot find a way to fix this. Help!

"Form 1099-NEC Worksheet (name): A link to schedule C or another form is something we need to get your info in the right place. Here's what to do: Go to 'Federal' and then 'Income & Expenses'. Select 'Income from form 1099-NEC.' Make sure to complete all of the info in this area."

I've done the above at least 5 times. There isn't any more info that I can provide here. What do I do?

AnnetteB6

Income reported on Form 1099-NEC is not reportable directly on your tax return.  Just entering the information on that form is only one step.  Since it is self-employment or 'non-employee compensation' it must be associated with a Schedule C, even if there are no expenses being claimed. 

The information required for the Schedule C will include the type of business, the business name (or your name if there is no specific business name), the business address (or your address), etc.

Since income reported on Form 1099-NEC needs to be reported on Schedule C, the program is trying to tie these two forms together to be sure that it is reported correctly and on the right form.

Try going back to the section where you entered the Form 1099-NEC if you entered it on its own and delete that entry.  Use these steps:

• On the top row of the TurboTax online screen, click on Search (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax locate the search box in the upper right corner)
  • This opens a box where you can type in “1099-NEC” and click the magnifying glass (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax, click Find)
  • The search results will give you an option to “Jump to 1099-NEC
  • Click on the blue “Jump to 1099-NEC” link

This will bring you to the summary of all Form 1099-NEC that you have entered.  Click Delete or the trash can icon next to each one.

Next, you will re-enter the Form 1099-NEC as part of the Schedule C so that the income is reported directly as part of your Business Income and Expenses and within the correct form and section of your return.

Use these steps to go to the Schedule C section of your return.  

• This opens a box where you can type in “schedule c” and click the magnifying glass (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax, click Find)
  • The search results will give you an option to “Jump to schedule c
  • Click on the blue “Jump to schedule c” link

If you already have a Schedule C in your return, edit it and go to the section to Add Income.  This is where you will re-enter the Form 1099-NEC. 

If you do not already have a Schedule C in your return, follow the prompts and enter the information about your work/business for which you received the Form 1099-NEC.  Then continue through that section to Add Income and enter the Form 1099-NEC plus any other income you received for that self-employed business.  

Don't forget you can also claim expenses related to your business.

After you are finished, the error condition should be eliminated. 

AnnetteB6

dunburqu

Thanks! This worked!

belinclt

I have the same issue but my 1099-NEC is for employment lawsuit settlement funds, there is no business for a schedule c. How should I report this "income"?

LenaH

To get your 1099-NEC to flow to Other Income, please follow the steps below: 

1. Open your return.
  2. Search for 1099-NEC with the magnifying glass tool at the top of the page.
  3. Click on the Jump to 1099-NEC link at the top of the search results. 
  4. Click Add a 1099-NEC.
  5. Enter the information as shown on your form. 
  6. On the page titled Guess what? You can deduct expenses for the example work choose No, I don't have expenses related to this income

@belinclt