Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

henry5
Returning Member

In 2016, I launched a small business (LLC) that I sold in Nov. 2020 at a loss. I can't figure out how or where to report that on Turbotax. Where do I do that?

digital business
single member llc
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
M-MTax
Level 10

In 2016, I launched a small business (LLC) that I sold in Nov. 2020 at a loss. I can't figure out how or where to report that on Turbotax. Where do I do that?

Most business that get sold sell assets or goodwill or both. Most of them have a capital gain from the sale but if you sold at a loss, you have a capital loss but you can't just say you sold a business because you have to list assets you sold even if it's just goodwill. Those are listed as sales of capital assets like stocks or bonds.

DawnC
Expert Alumni

TurboTax will ask you if you disposed of your business during the year. If you closed your business just by stopping operations, there is nothing else to do for your income tax return. However, if you sold the business to someone else, TurboTax will guide you through the disposition process and include the transaction on your income tax return.  In the general profile of your business, you will indicate that you disposed of or stopped the business in 2020 - then you will be asked about the sale.  All assets as well as the business need to be removed.  

Business with assets

Things get a little more complicated if your business involves assets.  In addition to filing that final Schedule C, you also have to give IRS details about your asset sales. For example, let’s say you run a small business by yourself making and selling desserts out of some retail space you rent, but after a few years you decide to move on.

Even if you dispose of the business in a single sale to one buyer, the IRS requires you to separately determine the value of each asset—the kitchen appliances, furniture, store lease, etc.—so that each is treated properly for tax purposes.   Determining the assets’ market value allows you to calculate whether there is a taxable gain or loss in each case. You list the assets, plus the value and sale price of each, on Form 8594:  Asset Acquisition Statement under Section 1060. Attach it to the 1040 you file for the year in which the asset sales occurred.

Business with employees

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies