Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I wrecked a car in 2016 that I had used for business and personal use. It was sold for 250 as scrap.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

I wrecked a car in 2016 that I had used for business and personal use. It was sold for 250 as scrap.

It depends.  Even if you did not use the vehicle for extensive business use, the loss of the vehicle is a "taxable event" (may not necessarily increase your tax) because the vehicle was used as a Business Asset.  If you suffered a loss on the vehicle, you may be able to claim the amount of loss proportionate to the business use.  TurboTax will calculate the original price minus depreciation claimed (even if you take the standard mileage rate, $.23/mile is for depreciation), and then subtract that total from the sales price.  If you scrapped the vehicle, the sales price is what you were given for it (even if it was very little).  An insurance adjustment payment would likewise count as a sales price.  

After this is calculated, a loss will decrease your income and lower your tax, whereas a gain of course is included in income and raises your tax.  Here is a consideration on sales (dispositions) of business assets:  https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/5209540

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

It depends.  Even if you did not use the vehicle for extensive business use, the loss of the vehicle is a "taxable event" (may not necessarily increase your tax) because the vehicle was used as a Business Asset.  If you suffered a loss on the vehicle, you may be able to claim the amount of loss proportionate to the business use.  TurboTax will calculate the original price minus depreciation claimed (even if you take the standard mileage rate, $.23/mile is for depreciation), and then subtract that total from the sales price.  If you scrapped the vehicle, the sales price is what you were given for it (even if it was very little).  An insurance adjustment payment would likewise count as a sales price.  

After this is calculated, a loss will decrease your income and lower your tax, whereas a gain of course is included in income and raises your tax.  Here is a consideration on sales (dispositions) of business assets:  https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/5209540

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies