turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

katz-jay

I've always completed Schedule M2 for my S Corp, even though assets/rev,$250k. IRS guidelines do not state that M2 does not need to be filed. TT skips M1 & M2. Why so?

This is my first year using TT for Business. I've used a CPA, and then HR Block. CPAs (and the IRS guidelines for completing the 1120s) gave me the impression that the M2 can't be skipped. Even if your assets and revenues are less than $250k. Am I not understanding this correctly? I know I can skip Schedule L, but M2?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DexterS

I've always completed Schedule M2 for my S Corp, even though assets/rev,$250k. IRS guidelines do not state that M2 does not need to be filed. TT skips M1 & M2. Why so?

There are a bunch or questions for you to answer on form 1120.

Question 13 on page 4 of Form 1120 says

"Are the corporation's total receipts (page 1, line 1a, plus lines 4 through 10) for the tax year and its total assets are the end of the tax year less the $250,000?

If yes the corporation isn't required to complete Schedules L, M-1 and M-2. Instead, enter the total amount of cash distributions and the book value of property distributions (other than cash) made during the tax yea."

So, you're fine not preparing M2 if you meet the above criteria.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
DexterS

There are a bunch or questions for you to answer on form 1120.

Question 13 on page 4 of Form 1120 says

"Are the corporation's total receipts (page 1, line 1a, plus lines 4 through 10) for the tax year and its total assets are the end of the tax year less the $250,000?

If yes the corporation isn't required to complete Schedules L, M-1 and M-2. Instead, enter the total amount of cash distributions and the book value of property distributions (other than cash) made during the tax yea."

So, you're fine not preparing M2 if you meet the above criteria.

katz-jay

Thanks for the reply. In the instructions for Form 1120, it does say that. But the IRS does NOT include the same exception for form 1120S per those instructions ( <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1120s.pdf">https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1120s.pdf</a> ). Maybe an oversight by the IRS? I'd feel more comfortable seeing the same language in those instructions though.
DexterS

I've always completed Schedule M2 for my S Corp, even though assets/rev,$250k. IRS guidelines do not state that M2 does not need to be filed. TT skips M1 &amp; M2. Why so?

Sorry, I missed the "S".  Were there amounts on M-2 in prior years other than $0?
katz-jay

I've always completed Schedule M2 for my S Corp, even though assets/rev,$250k. IRS guidelines do not state that M2 does not need to be filed. TT skips M1 &amp; M2. Why so?

Yes. That's why I was confused when TT skipped over the M-2. It is my first year using TT, but I thought it would at least prompt me for my previous M-2 #. I have gone back and manually completed the M-2, as I'm pretty sure it's required...
JRG

TT did not help you fill the M-2 once you started to fill it manually?

Here is how to turn off the balance sheet ... so if you want/need it on take the other path : 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/business/help/how-do-i-turn-off-the-balance-sheet/00/25955

Did you ever figure out why TT didn't fill out the M-2 sections?  I'm having the same problem?  My last year's return had it filled out, but this year it isn't filled out.  However, my Schedule L (Balance sheet) and M-1 Sections are filled out.  

Note: this is the second year I'm in business and I'm also an S-Corp.

Thanks,

katz-jay

No. I went back to HR Block Business last year

Does this section matter if you make less than $250k?  I can't seem to get a clear answer on that. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies