turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

nick22204

I receive a 1099 misc from my electric utility as payment for solar energy generation. It is not a Schedule C activity but Turbo Tax wants to treat it as a business.

I provide no services and am not registered as a business, but Turbo Tax wants to complete a Schedule C for 1099 Misc income listed in Box 3. How do I avoid that?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
NicoleU

I receive a 1099 misc from my electric utility as payment for solar energy generation. It is not a Schedule C activity but Turbo Tax wants to treat it as a business.

In this case, you will need to do the following:

• Click Federal Taxes
  • Look for Other Common Income (click Show more)
  • Form 1099-Misc, click Start/Update
  • Did you get a 1099-Misc?, click Yes
  • You will fill it out your accordingly
  • Describe the reason
  • Does one of these uncommon situations apply? None of these apply
  • Did the __involve work that's like your main job? No, it didn't work like my main job
  • How often did you get income for ___? (If this will occur more than one time, then it will be treated as Schedule C business income)
  • Did the ___involve an intent to earn money? No, it didn't involve an intent to earn money.
Thinker55

The final question in this response does not appear in TurboTax 2020 Home & Business.  There is also a checkbox that says 'Stephen intends to get this in 2021' -- and I do, as wse have a 15 year contract.  TurboTax wants me to create a Schedule C business.  Help!

JeffreyR77
Expert Alumni

You have a pair of options.  One is do not check the box that you intend to get the payment in 2021. 

That will end the perpetuity nature of the payments and should end the Schedule C connection. 

The other option is to delete the Form 1099-MISC and enter the income as Less Common Income Income, Other Taxable Income.  

The first option is preferable; however the requirement is to report the income.  The income is taxable and not subject to self-employment tax.  Both options will achieve this objective.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies