kfoster22

I paid someone else (also an attorney) $3200.00 for legal work. How do I report this?

I am an attorney.  I had legal fees paid by Cook county, Illinois for work done on a criminal case. Another attorney assisted me and I paid her $3200 from what I was paid by Cook County, Il. My income was reported on a Form 1099-Misc. The income was $6560.00.  I shouldn't be liable for all the taxes on that income since I paid out almost half of that for her assistance. I  would appreciate your assistance.

TomD8

You're going to have to upgrade to TurboTax Self-employed to deduct that $3200.  Your own 1099-MISC income will be entered as Business Income.  Then you'll be able to deduct the $3200 in the Contract Labor section of business expenses.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.