Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Dave23

I owned 50% of S-corp, sold 20% of my shares (10% of S-corp) to a new shareholder via installments (2 payments in 2017, and 4 in 2018). How do I record this in TurboTax?

Before the transaction, I owned 50% of the S-corp, and one other shareholder owned the other 50%.

I sold 20% of my shares (10% of the S-corp) to directly to a new shareholder (no additional stock was issued), and I received the proceeds personally.  It was an installment sale, with 2 payments made in 2017 and 4 payments in 2018.

After the transaction, I owned 40% of the S-corp, and the new (third) shareholder owned 10%.  

How do I account for this transaction in TurboTax Premier for my personal returns for 2017 and 2018?

Where do I enter my ownership basis in TurboTax Premier for my personal returns for 2017 and/or 2018?

Anything else about this issue that I should be considering?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I owned 50% of S-corp, sold 20% of my shares (10% of S-corp) to a new shareholder via installments (2 payments in 2017, and 4 in 2018). How do I record this in TurboTax?

You need to be completing form 6252 Installment Sale Income.  When inputting the correct amounts on the appropriate lines TT will handle the rest.

*A reminder that posts in a forum such as this do not constitute tax advice.
Also keep in mind the date of replies, as tax law changes.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

You need to be completing form 6252 Installment Sale Income.  When inputting the correct amounts on the appropriate lines TT will handle the rest.

*A reminder that posts in a forum such as this do not constitute tax advice.
Also keep in mind the date of replies, as tax law changes.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies