Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I moved, so I had 2 home offices. How do I answer, percentage of business conducted at?

I spent 100% at both locations, but can't go over 100%.  The sqft is different at both locations.  I also rented at one and purchased a home for the second locations.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

I moved, so I had 2 home offices. How do I answer, percentage of business conducted at?

Determine the percentage of the tax year 2016 that you were in each location.

For instance, if you moved April 1, 2016, it would be 3 months at your first place and the split would be 25% / 75%.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

Determine the percentage of the tax year 2016 that you were in each location.

For instance, if you moved April 1, 2016, it would be 3 months at your first place and the split would be 25% / 75%.

Anonymous
Not applicable

so do I combine expenses for both places?  one is home, so I can deduct mortgage interest, property tax, repairs and have to do depreciation. the other is a rental.  Doesn't seem right that I would be deducting only 25% or 75% of the  mortage interest, tax, etc.
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

Whatever you don't deduct as the business expense is deductible on your Schedule A on the personal side of your tax return.

Doesn't seem right that I would be deducting only 25% or 75% of the  mortage interest, tax, etc.

Agree. TurboTax is calculating the Home Office deduction incorrectly when you simply move from one home office to another and don't use them both at the same time. See https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-credits-deductions/discussion/re-warning-turbotax-2019-incorre... for details.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies