I have had a small home sales business, carrying inventory, but the parent company went bankrupt in 2018. How do I reflect the loss of value of that inventory, and where?

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
barbaranoel

I have had a small home sales business, carrying inventory, but the parent company went bankrupt in 2018. How do I reflect the loss of value of that inventory, and where?

For the prior 2 years I filed losses since no sales but cost to maintain accounts, advertise, etc.  Inventory is about $3,000 value before their bankruptcy - worth about 25% of that on the current market. 

1 Reply
Uther

Unfortunately, most taxpayers are on the cash basis, so there is no way to simply "down-value" inventory. Even though you may be quite certain that it's lost some value, you'll need to sell it to establish just how much of a loss you actually have. 
If you sell for less than what you paid for it, then and only then will you have a loss for tax purposes.

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings