Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Raj5

I got K1 from 1120S that is showing loss of ($43,000), Can i claim that loss in my personal tax return?

I have stock & Basis basis in Scorporation only $15000. How much i can claim in 1040 return as loss?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
IreneS
Intuit Alumni

I got K1 from 1120S that is showing loss of ($43,000), Can i claim that loss in my personal tax return?

You can claim a loss only up to your basis--$15,000.  The rest of the loss can be carried over until you have sufficient basis to take the rest of the loss.

Once you have utilized all stock and loan basis to deduct losses, you need to complete Form 6198 in TurboTax.  This will allow the program to compute the amount at-risk and track suspended losses for future years.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Form 6198 is for "At Risk" losses, not losses due to insufficient Basis.

The Moderators have told me that PQ has stated that TurboTax does not support losses in excess of Basis (and has no way to properly enter it in future years)
Raj5

Thank you
SRosenhan

Related question: TT Online instructs you to only enter the allowed loss in Box 1 of the K1.   I also need to enter information for 199A form (Box 17 Z)  Do I also adjust the loss amount to allowed (instead of actual)  in this form as well? 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies