turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I closed a business in February of 2018. How do I handle the disposal of assets for 2018 tax filing when I have yet to sell the building and equipment?

In Turbo Tax I checked that this would be my last tax filing as the business is closed.  Turbo Tax wants to report the disposal of the assets but I haven't yet disposed of them as I am trying to sell the building and equipment.  How do I handle it. 
Also, how is the remaining not yet depreciated value of the assets handled?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DDollar
Expert Alumni

I closed a business in February of 2018. How do I handle the disposal of assets for 2018 tax filing when I have yet to sell the building and equipment?

You will need to change and and not indicate that this is your last tax return.  You will file your final tax return after you dispose of the assets. The not yet depreciated value of the assets (your book value) is your basis in the assets.  It will be used to calculate a gain or loss on the disposal of the assets.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DDollar
Expert Alumni

You will need to change and and not indicate that this is your last tax return.  You will file your final tax return after you dispose of the assets. The not yet depreciated value of the assets (your book value) is your basis in the assets.  It will be used to calculate a gain or loss on the disposal of the assets.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies