Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I bought a piece of commercial land for my business. Can I deduct this and if so, where do I enter it?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

I bought a piece of commercial land for my business. Can I deduct this and if so, where do I enter it?

The purchase of land is a capital asset.  Unless you are in the business of buying and selling real estate, (which the land then becomes inventory), the purchase price is capitalized and carried as an asset on the balance sheet.

There is no current deduction for the purchase of land.  When and if the land is sold, you would subtract the purchase price of the land from the selling price and would then have a capital gain/loss.

If used in a trade or business, it might be subject to any rules for Section 1250 property if the property has had substantial improvement made that were subject to depreciation or if the land you purchased has depreciable  property on it.

**Disclaimer: Effort has been made to offer correct information; but due to the discussion forum limitations, the poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the poster's response**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies