I bought a big photo printer in 2017 to start a business. I made about $300 and spent several thousand. Can I expense everything? Or do I have to file it as an NOL?

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest second stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I bought a big photo printer in 2017 to start a business. I made about $300 and spent several thousand. Can I expense everything? Or do I have to file it as an NOL?

It’s a sole proprietorship, and I plan on trying to build it up this year (day job permitting)

1 Reply
Level 1

Yes, you can deduct it as part of your startup costs of a business. According to the IRS guideline, you are allow to deduct $5,000 in business startup costs and $5,000 in organizational costs, but only if your total startup costs are $50,000 or less. If your startup costs for either area exceed $50,000, the amount of your allowable deduction will be reduced by that dollar amount. Please see this IRS link for more information: https://www.irs.gov/publications/p535/ch08.html#en_US_2016_publink1000208939

Dynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings