turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

v-med21

I am self-employed and I need new eye-glasses. Can I deduct this as a business expense?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I am self-employed and I need new eye-glasses. Can I deduct this as a business expense?

Your eye-glasses are going to be an itemized deductible medical expense so long as they are medically necessary to help correct your vision and not for show.  If you have specialty glasses which are specifically work-related (i.e. they are necessary for work, and you do not  wear them outside of work such as specialty prescription goggles do to dangerous work environment which require all employees to wear goggles which meet certain hazard safety guidelines) then you may be able to take an itemized deduction for employee expenses or a business deduction on Schedule C.  Be very careful if you are going to attempt to take this as a business deduction as it may be challenged.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Your eye-glasses are going to be an itemized deductible medical expense so long as they are medically necessary to help correct your vision and not for show.  If you have specialty glasses which are specifically work-related (i.e. they are necessary for work, and you do not  wear them outside of work such as specialty prescription goggles do to dangerous work environment which require all employees to wear goggles which meet certain hazard safety guidelines) then you may be able to take an itemized deduction for employee expenses or a business deduction on Schedule C.  Be very careful if you are going to attempt to take this as a business deduction as it may be challenged.

Hi there!  I understand that *prescription* glasses are a legit medical deduction, but what about *non-prescription reading* glasses that enable one to read easier? I checked the IRS Topic 502 (Topic No. 502 Medical and Dental Expenses | Internal Revenue Service (irs.gov)) but it really wasn't clear.  Any guidance?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies