I am filing a Schedule C for my small business. I have education/training expenses to deduct; however, I am not sure where to list them on my Schedule C?

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest second stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am filing a Schedule C for my small business. I have education/training expenses to deduct; however, I am not sure where to list them on my Schedule C?

I have already consulted with 2 accountants and was told my education/training expenses could be deducted because the training was not required for me to start this new career. I started my business officially in May 2015 and then started this training in August to enhance my already existing skills. I am not sure where on the Schedule C to list this specific expenses since there wasn't something for education/training. Would it just be under other expenses?

1 Reply
Employee Tax Expert

Because you have indicated that the education/training expenses where not required to begin this new career, enter as a any other business expense.

• Select Business>I'll choose what I work on>Start/Update on Business Income and Expenses (sch c)>Edit
  • Scroll down and select Other Common Business Expenses>Other Miscellaneous Expenses>Start
  • Provide description and amount of your education/training expenses.

Note on the Any miscellaneous Expenses? page, there is a See More Examples hyperlink. Click it and you will see continuing-education expenses.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Dynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings